Our 7 Core Values
1) Connection through Nature
Our ecology curriculum connects core academics, art, dance, gymnastics, drama and music with fun and meaning. Engaged and happy children care deeply about our planet and themselves. Taught early and with fun, children are passionate about our natural world and are highly capable and interested in learning for the rest of their lives.
2) Organic Vegetarian Food included
The children’s developing brains are protected through pesticide free nutrition. Children love to explore new tastes and textures at SUSA, which makes them and their parents very happy.
3) Secure Attachment – Neuroscience Based
The children’s learning ability and self-regulation, confidence, and sense of self in the world are all developed in their first 5 years of life.
Warm attachment and supportive relationships, good nutrition, and neuro-developmental exercises are critical to optimal brain development.
Especially the first year lays the foundation for the child’s development for the rest of her/his life. We offer our parenting+play group Spielgruppe once a week for 60 minutes for babies 4 months and up.
4) Learning With All Senses – The Whole Brain Child
SUSA’s specialty is : Child education with empathy – Where love grows”
Well educated in mind, heart and body, these little future adults are able to create connected, compassionate communities for a more peaceful and just world.
Based on Piaget’s observations we support play based learning. RIE is combined with the love of nature and free imagination in Waldorf. Psycho-motor skills/P.E., life skills, music education and academics, are part of the Montessori method. Open questions and following child inspired play like in the Reggio Emilia method are practiced every day at SUSA.
5) Compassion – Strong Selfesteem, Confidence, Accepting Diversity
Our current children are our future adult society. Our focus is on building connections to us, themselves and their environment. A child that feels connected learns easier and with more joy and confidence. Their creativity, social and emotional IQ, communication, and selfesteem that they will always find a way to solve a challenge. Connected children feel safe in their bodies, hearts and minds and have an excellent foundation to become successful adults.
A loving, caring, creative person is the result of a happy, educated mind and heart, regardless of a person’s culture, genetics, heritage or religious background.
6) Speaking Multiple Languages, Open Mindedness
Young children learn a new language quickly in an environment they love. They feel excited to speak the new language, even if that language is not spoken at home.
Multiple languages enhance the child’s brain executive decision making ability with higher speed and creativity. Children who learn additional languages early also learn other languages much easier later on in life.
Speaking multiple languages opens a persons mind, accepts other cultures much easier, is fun and very useful, as it opens opportunities to interact with others, equipping our future adults to become true world citizens.
Germans are very appreciated for their work ethic, product quality and engineering skills, and compete in the top sections of every area of the world economy.
We provide a connection to the German culture through traditional and non-traditional songs, art, games and stories. Modern Germans are very adept to living in a globally connected world with many different cultures.
We hope you realize what a wonderful gift you give to your children by choosing SUSA.
7) Positively Involved Parenting
Our German preschool program provides an excellent foundation for your child’s life alongside your own affectionate, engaging, limit setting with empathy, connection based parenting. At SUSA you will learn that empathy is not innate, but taught and a learned response. We work closely with parents and their children to support each other in our community.
The US National Institute of Child Health and Human Development concluded that at home parenting is the primary influence on children’s development.
From the PDF:
• Neuroscience (the scientific study of the nervous system) provides compelling evidence that early experiences impact on brain development, and can have a long-term effect on well-being (this includes physical and mental health, learning and behavior).
• The first three years are the period of the most rapid growth during which there are specific sensitive periods for optimal learning in particular areas. A large proportion of human brain development takes place after birth as a result of interactions with the environment – the impact of early experience has a greater influence on development than heredity.
• Early experiences either enhance or diminish innate potential, laying either a strong or a fragile platform on which all further development and learning of the person, the body and the mind is built. The longer children spend in adverse environments, the more pervasive and resistant to recovery are the effects.
Thank you for your interest.
We look forward to meeting your family!
Your SUSA staff